[extropy-chat] Quotes: Growth

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Nov 30 14:58:21 UTC 2006

The only good quote I have on perishing is "Perishable.  Keep
refrigerated".

But I do have some good quotes on growth and change.

- Jef

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure,
to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for
in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
-- Alan Cohen

The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve
change amid order.
-- Alfred North Whitehead

Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go
through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain
in it. This is a kind of death.
-- Anais Nin

There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more
painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anais Nin

Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what
we are for what we could become.
-- Charles Dubois

All conservatism is based upon the idea that if you leave things alone
you leave them as they are. But you do not. If you leave a thing alone
you leave it to a torrent of change.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or
present are certain to miss the future.
-- John F. Kennedy

To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on
creating oneself endlessly.
-- Henri Bergson