[extropy-chat] Rational thinking

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Nov 30 13:24:58 UTC 2006

BillK writes

> On 11/30/06, Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> Just how irrational would it be for you to sacrifice many hundreds
>> of thousands of dollars for a cause to which you were dedicated,
>> even though that sacrifice entailed a somewhat diminished
>> expectation of the eventual survival of your own skin?
>>
>> What I see over and over again on this list is that causes which
>> repel us we evaluate as "irrational" whereas causes that we
>> support---e.g. the reduction of the world's great terrorist
>> state (the U.S.) --- merit great effort and even sacrifice.
>
> Exactly how rational is it to spend 140,000 to 280,000 USD (depending
> on family income) on raising a child to age 17?  (1)  And then there
> are college costs in addition.

Very good question!  The answer is clear: it is entirely rational,
if your carefully considered values place the benefits accruing
to your child above the well-being of your own vehicle.

(Anyone mystified by the use of "vehicle" need only consult the writings of
Richard Dawkins.)

> These costs mean the parents spend much less on their own lifestyle,
> pension fund, etc. Surely this cannot be rational?

<grin>  Thanks for piling on!

> As the falling western birth rate shows, it is more rational for the
> human race to die out.

LOL.  Touche!  But seriously, you didn't say rational for *whom*.
For many determined individualists who don't give a fig about
anything beyond themselves, it's entirely rational to make no
effort whatsoever to save western civilization or even the entire
human race, let alone raise a child.

Lee