[extropy-chat] Music and Science

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Thu Nov 30 19:27:27 UTC 2006

I have a research question for you all.

Are you aware of any scientists who have had specific scientific inspiration from music?

I am aware of Einstein finding the architecture and inner unity of Mozart and Bach while playing the violin an inspiration for the elegant equations he sought.

I also have heard that Francis Collins found inspiration during the Human Genome project while playing his guitar, but I haven't been able to find out specifically what inspiration that was or what he was playing.  It could have been "Onward Christian Soldier" for all I know...  ;-)

Are there any other scientists you know who have achieved intellectual breakthroughs or more general inspiration while either playing or listening to music?

Thanks for your time.

[And could either Jef or Russell please forward this to the WTA list?  Seems I'm having problems with their server again... - Thanks!]

Take care all,
PJ