[extropy-chat] A Headline I'd Like To See

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Nov 30 23:40:15 UTC 2006

Damien Broderick:
>In the slightly belated spirit of Thanksgiving:
>"Pope pardons Turkey"

:-)

>and while we're on the topic, I read in the papers that

>"Pope Benedict XVI, right, is greeted by Istanbul's Mufti Mustafa
>Cagrici outside the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey... The pope,
>wearing white robes"
>Which, alas, entirely spoiled my hopes that he'd be in mufti.

:-)

Notice that he didn't pray there..(visitors/nonMuslims are not
permitted to enter the Blue Mosque during the times of Salat)

The place where I stayed on March 30 in the old part of Istanbul gave me
a perfect view of the Blue Mosque from one window and a perfect view of
the Aya Sofia Mosque (*) from another window. At night, I made some
experiments with my camera, taking long exposures while 1) shooting
through the window glass, and then 2) opening the windows, which removed
the reflective aspect. The results from that night are a little grainy,
but I have some interesting reflection images from study-2) such as this
one:

http://www.amara.com/Reflections.jpg

where the Blue Mosque is superimposed on the Aya Sofia Mosque. I like
playing with metaphors. Enjoy...

Amara

(*) previously a Christian church that was burned down by rioters a few
times before it was rebuilt, and then, many hundreds of years later, was
converted into a mosque.