[extropy-chat] Uses of Religion

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 3 03:01:13 UTC 2006

From: "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:48 PM

> Olga writes the difference between Saddam killing Iraqis and Iraqi's
> killing Iraqies.
>> Saddam's hands.  Now it is on George Bush's hands

> Why is it so important whose blood is on whose hands?  That is, if we are
> interested in less suffering, everything else being equal we should
> applaud actions that reduce casualties.  (Yes---I know that not everything
> else is equal.)

Doesn't integrity count for something?   And isn't a good reputation
important?  How can the USA hope to hold on to any respect it may have with
other countries in the world - unless it acts honorably?

The importance is that before the war in Iraq Saddam was considered the "bad
guy."  Now - by many more people in many more countries than before the war
in Iraq - the USA is considered the "bad guy."  It is not clear that the
Iraqi war will show a reduction in casualties - the conflict seems far from
over, and who knows over how many borders the blood will keep spilling?

The USA went to "free" the Iraqis ... but ended up "freeing" a lot of Iraqis
from ... their lives.

> It reminds me of the chain of reasoning pacifists use.  They are
> disturbed, yes, by killings, but it's whether or not their own hands are
> clean that is to them what's crucial.

I don't think you'll find all that much agreement among pacifists, and there
are degrees of pacifism even among so-called pacifists.

>> Another important difference is that the reputation of the USA has sunk
>> to a very low level (Abu Ghraib:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_prison)
>
> Please find me a major conflict without incidents of this kind (or,
> usually, much worse) any time in human history.  Even when sociopaths are
> not drawn into armies and police forces---and it's estimated that about
> four percent of people are sociopaths---wars invariably coarsen all
> involved.

If that's the problem, then that scenario would have needed to be placated
in advance - call it a "defensive strategy."

Because the bottom line is ... the USA cannot lead by example if we are not
exemplary ourselves.

Olga