[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 18:01:38 UTC 2006

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> How is the likelihood of the rise of an unfriendly AI impacted by
> increased secrecy, and out-of-control spending on nefarious projects?
> We know that the opportunity to exercise unbridled control over others
> attracts the most vicious humans - will therefore our guardians (now
> less guarded by judges and citizens) become more vicious on average?
> What will be the AI like, if its makers are psychopaths with unlimited
> budgets in a black project?

Paperclips are paperclips, whether the AI is built by terrorists trying
to create a Sharia enforcer, or eager idealistic researchers who don't
understand the concept of "back off until you know what you're doing".

No one gives a damn about AI research, and until that changes, changes
in other government policies aren't going to affect anything one way or
the other.

Save your strength for things that (a) matter and (b) you can make a
personal difference on.

Some things are just not relevant to the Singularity, people.  Get over it.