[extropy-chat] exit polls

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Thu Oct 5 02:40:41 UTC 2006

Bear in mind that exit polls are _not_ designed to predict winners, but
rather to determine demographics and attitudes of voters (which is why
objections that exit polls don't match vote counts are nonsense; they
are not meant to measure the same thing).

Traditionally, the precincts which are subjected to exit polls are very
carefully selected so that in aggregate they represent a viable
cross-section of the voting population. Just because one particular
precinct isn't exit polled doesn't mean that the voters in that precinct
are not represented in the exit poll; there is an intricate means of
determining which precincts to poll, so that the entire electorate is
represented.

See http://www.exit-poll.net/ for some more info.

Joseph