[extropy-chat] exit polls

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Oct 5 19:59:40 UTC 2006

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Repeating a lie does not make it so.  Exit polls have worked really
> well here and abroad to predict winners in *fair* elections.

Hm.  Don't want to get involved in this, but I do see a potential
experimental-design flaw in the above statement.  What gold standard did
you use to decide whether the election was fair, aside from the exit
poll itself?

By the way, I'm quite willing to believe that the 2004 US election was
broken, that most US elections have been broken, that both parties
cheated, that the 2004 election was the worst yet in the series, that
things will keep getting worse, that electronic voting marks a
qualitative line of demarcation, and that there's nothing I can do about
it *directly* and I probably shouldn't even have spent the seconds
writing this sentence.