[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Oct 6 06:07:41 UTC 2006

Samantha wrote (Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 11:32 PM)
> Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> That could be true, but I believe it depends on future events. Do you almost
>> daily think about what your reactions would be if a terrorist nuke was to go
>> off in a large American city?
>
> Of course not.  Do you?  What for?  Seems like a terrible waste of
> emotional energy.

Thank you for your generous interest in how I spend my time.  It's nice when
you know that others care; and I'll be sure to consult you whenever I begin
to feel unable to manage my time sensibly.  For your information, I try to
confine such thinking to odd moments.

Actually, there are dozens of items like this that I ponder any number of times
each week.  Even more often I mentally prepare myself for The Big One,
or (!) if it turns out that Elvis Is Still Alive.

>> Do you think that your feelings and intuitions would change at all?
>
> Such hypotheticals are utterly useless to the issues at hand.

No, they're not.  They're the only insurance against panic.  No guarantee, of
course, but it helps.  Please also see my remarks to Russell.

Lee