[extropy-chat] Fools building AIs

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Oct 6 08:40:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 04:10:48AM -0400, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> I do not know what is optimal reasoning, and I don't believe you know
> either, nor does any human....  I definitely do not find your own
> reasoning optimal...

The word optimal is meaningless without context and a metric.

> For instance, you have repeatedly claimed quite confidently that "any
> AI not provably Friendly is very very likely to wind up extremely
> unFriendly", without ever presenting any remotely convincing reasoning
> in favor of this contention ;-)

The point is that a population of uncaring high-fitness beings will cause
extinctions on a very large scale. We do. I wouldn't call it unfriendly,
because unfriendly means to actually seek out and terminate with extreme
prejudice. If you're missing reasoning for that, then I
suggest you look into evolutionary biology and human history,
and take a look out of your window.

> As for my friend's reasoning, I know him pretty well and find his
> reasoning and attitudes quite rational.   However, it may be that I am
> using the word "rational" differently than you are.

Again, rational doesn't mean much without further decoration.

> I am not sure in what sense you are claiming his attitude is "irrational."

Most people tend to value life. I would call a person who's indifferent
or hostile to his own well-being at least slightly pathological.
I don't see why you're so fixated on that rational thing, whatever that is.