[extropy-chat] Fools building AIs (was: Tyranny in place)

Nathan Barna nlbarna at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:04:03 UTC 2006

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> Rationality, as I see it, is not intrinsically correlated with either
> fragility or stability.

Right. My own understanding, so far, of rationality is that it's
intrinsically correlated with coherence, though. Given an explicit
willingness to be rational, it would be hard to be willfully
incoherent. Then given this bare-bones presupposition, it's hard to be
coherent and be selective about knowledge, when you should want to
know it all (or outsource to entities that can), which I believe
underlies Eliezer's points in guarding against, specifically,
/separate magisteria/ and /scope neglect/.