[extropy-chat] Cognition enhancement in fiction

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sat Oct 7 01:09:42 UTC 2006

Great! Keep on posting!

pjmanney wrote:
> What about uplift of non-human creatures?  There's a bunch of those.  Does
> that topic fit your mandate?

Good question. I think the proper answer is "not really", but as an
eminent philosopher criticized our current project outlook as being too
antropocentric at an workshop, I think it is a good complement. That will
of course immediately add Vinge's "Run, Bookworm, Run!" and Sterlings "Our
Neural Chernobyl" to the list.

"Mike Dougherty" msd001 at gmail.com
>You do plan on posting your compilation here, right?  Anything you can do
>to isolate the gems from the great pile of rubbish that is available
would > be a veritable service to humanity.  :)

Sure! Of course, gems in this case means novels with interesting ideas and
treatments rather than being great reads. Ah, that reminded me of
Stanislaw Lem's _Golem XIV_ ;-)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics