[extropy-chat] Reproducing (was: Islamic morons)

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun Oct 8 17:37:22 UTC 2006

Anna writes:

 > Why is it that man or woman would not want to reproduce?

You're joking, surely?

Do you know how much it costs to bring up a kid?

Have you ever seen a baby?

Have you ever HEARD a baby?

I can think of much better things to do with 18 years of my life, thanks.

OK, i don't want to insult the breeders on this list, i'm sure there are
plenty of them, and i'm sure that some of them, at least, get a blast
out of having kids and bringing them up, but i really think it's a
matter of asking "Why _would_ you want to reproduce?", rather than why
wouldn't you.

I suppose it's a bit like asking why would you sign up for the military.
You're doing society a service at the expense of your own well-being
(yeah, i know we are programmed to 'feel good' about the whole baby
thing, but that doesn't mean it actually is good for you).

We all know the real reason why most people have babies, so your
question boils down to "Why would somebody want to rebel against the
dictates of nature?". I think the name of this list adequately answers that.

Ask the question again when reproduction is a matter of data-processing.

ben zaiboc