[extropy-chat] nuclear power for all

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 04:15:52 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
> the sentence in which I complained the most loudly contained to
> absurd typos... spike

Oh dear, this is getting two funny.

On another topic entirely, it appears the U.S. is trying to spread nuclear
technology to, well, pretty much everywhere including such places as Yemen:

http://fpc.state.gov/fpc/61808.htm

Someone who is up to speed on their nuke tech, do remind me.  As I recall
from the physics lectures so very long ago that a heavy water reactor
requires slightly more highly enriched uranium, and makes as a byproduct
plutonium 235 which can be used to make fission bombs?  And a light water
reactor can use slightly less enriched uranium, requires a less
sophisticated control system but does not produce plutonium?  Or is that an
oversimplification?

I suppose the scheme makes sense if the U.S. is helping nations build light
water reactors, because that would help mop up excess uranium without
producing bomb stuff, while simultaneously reducing greenhouse gases.