[extropy-chat] North Korea has the bomb

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 07:31:46 UTC 2006

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> Well sort of. More than sixty years after the first
> nuclear bomb exploded
> with a force of 15,000 tons of TNT, North Korea just
> tested a nuclear bomb
> equivalent to 550 tons of TNT. That's a dud. Still,
> this is not a happy day.

550 tons? I can see why the white house is so
reluctant to confirm the news. After all it is not
inconceivable that they could have scraped together
550 tons of TNT to mess with our heads. Still, it's
not wise to call a nuclear bluff. That's the beauty of
the nuke.

Cheer up, John. What with China, India, and Pakistan,
non-whites have had the nuke for some time.  I look
forward to the day when anybody can walk into walmart
and purchase a nuke. That will be the day when respect
is universal and interpersonal problems will be solved
without the use of force.

Can you blame North Korea, Iran, or the rest for
wanting to sit at the grown-up's table for a change?
Or do you buy into the whole "axis-of-insane-evil"
malarky? You do realize that the entire Korean
peninsula was a civilized nation-state for over a
thousand years before George Washington was a glimmer
in his father's eye don't you?

The some 50 odd years of a separate North and South
Korea is a historical fluke resulting from the cold
war which was spawned by nukes in the first place.
Korea was of course a vassal of the Japanese empire
for few decades, but we ended that with 2 small nukes.

It seems that much of Korea's fortunes the last
century have revolved around nukes in one way or
another. The interesting question what will your
commander-in-chief do, when Greater Korea makes a bid
for reuinification, which it it inevitably must as all
people do when they are artificially separated from
their brothers and sisters?  What will China and Japan
do? Oh the delicious beauty of the human drama as it
unfolds.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

-Galileo Galilei