[extropy-chat] Intellectual influence

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 17:09:16 UTC 2006

On 10/9/06, Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se> wrote:

> Neil H. wrote:
> > * How similar are the results if you simply rely on which person
> articles
> > have wiki links to each other?
>
> My guess is that the influence links will have a higher signal-to-noise
> ratio, especially since many person references relate more to interactions
> and family than intellectual links.

Oh yes, certainly. However, the sheer quantity of information available may
result in some interesting things.

> It also depends on how well you can disambiguate persons from other
> articles. I didn't see any "person" category, which means it is likely
> that it will be tricky to automatically determine whether a link is
> another person (I'd love to have a good named entity reference detector
> for English to integrate in my software - in Swedish capitalisation can do
> a surprisingly decent job, but it fails for English). Even if we just
> accept philosopher category pages it will be somewhat messy. Still, in the
> long run every link is sacred: it contains a deliberate relation to
> another document we can mine if we can just dig out enough context around
> it.

Actually, if you go up through the Category links, I think each person
subtype eventually leads up to "Category:People." For example,
Category:Philosophers is in
Category:People_known_in_connection_with_religion_or_philosophy, which is in
Category:People.

On another side note, it might be fun to try clustering everything in the
categories and subcategories for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Transhumanism