[extropy-chat] Probability of identity.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Oct 11 05:54:27 UTC 2006

Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult Wrote:

> Clearly, the best solution from the original instance POV

The original instance of an adjective is a pretty damn fuzzy concept, and
the original point of view of that adjective is even fuzzier. It's so fuzzy
that the phrase becomes just a sound one can make with your mouth.

> would be to preserve the first instance of you and send all the 99 new
> instances to Hell.

The trouble is I have no way of knowing if I am your noble sacred original
composed of the same holy original atoms. If I took your advice there is a
99% probability I'll end up in hell.

> How do you define survival?

How do you define "definition"?

> If we view this situation only in terms of pure material (or physical)
> identity, patternist view breaks down very quickly.

That is certainly true, but so what? Why would anybody only be concerned
with stuff made of matter? There are lots of very interesting things that
have nothing to do with atoms, as any mathematician will tell you. And poets
are armed with a powerful arsenal of adjectives and adverbs; they are not
made of atoms either.

  John K Clark