[extropy-chat] Clamping down email server

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 15 15:23:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 10:23:14PM -0500, Brian Atkins wrote:

> Running your own personal outbound mail server in today's environment is simply
> not worth the endless neverending trouble you will have.

I disagree. I have zero trouble with mine, and I consistently
made the experience that you just can't rely on other people.

> Just send the outgoing mail through your ISP's mail server instead of attempting
> direct delivery. They have paid folks to do the neverending work of keeping
> clear of blacklists and all the other issues, and at this point it is a full
> time job.

If you share your IP with random users, it is *guaranteed* to be in a RBL
or many at some point. The paid folks can do zilch about it.

If you want proper hygiene, use sterile IPs, and don't contaminate them
yourself (such as running Tor in your address space).