[extropy-chat] Probability of identity - solution?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 15 16:28:07 UTC 2006

Hiya Lee,

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:23:34 -0400, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

>> Seems to me that supposed duplicates share nearly the same biological
>> nature, even more than is the case with identical twins, but that they
>> cannot share the same nurture.
>
> That depends on how recently the duplicate was made.

Of course that is true. The supposed duplicates become more unlike each
other as a function of time and experience.

And so logically they start as different people even in the first moment
following the split, at their first moment of unshared, disparate
experience.

> "Nurture" as in the traditional nurture/nature debate is taken to mean a
> long term build-up.

I think it needn't be taken that way here. I think we are to some extent a
product of our experiences, no matter how brief those experiences may be.

It follows also that one is not the same person from one day to the next,
or even from one moment to the next. Certainly this is true biologically.
Why should it not also be true psychologically?

-gts