[extropy-chat] Probability of identity - solution?.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Oct 16 06:15:54 UTC 2006

"Robin Hanson" <rhanson at gmu.edu>

> You seem to be rejecting the concept of indexical uncertainty

What sort of index could you possibly provide to convince me that I am not
me? As I've said before, objectivity be damned! If subjectively I'm
John K Clark then I am. And even if I'm wrong and it's all an illusion it
still doesn't matter, not when you're dealing with an illusion that
incredibly gigantically astronomically good.

> An agent who has forked but has not yet found out which forked agent he is
> can sensibly have ncertainty about his identity.

I can't see how. The agent might have uncertainty about what Everett style
universe he was now living in, but not that he is he. The uncertainty is
external not internal.  To me the idea that someone can think like person B,
feel like person B, believe he is person B, and have all of person B's
memories, but still not be person B is, well.., I don't believe gibberish is
too strong a word.

  John K Clark