[extropy-chat] Probability of identity - solution?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Oct 16 14:33:54 UTC 2006

Slawomir, it appears this would have been a good opportunity to
paraphrase your understanding of what the other person is trying to say,
rather than responding with the shallow implication that he's being
stupid.

John is making a hugely important point that many people don't grasp,
that *all meaning* is subjective. Some people misinterpret this to mean
*all knowledge* is subjective, and either (1) go to the postmodernist
extreme of absolute relativism, or (2) take righteous umbrage in defense
of (increasingly) objective scientific practice.  Either reaction would
be missing the point.

John also points out that you repeatedly offer circular definitions;
such behavior being the crux of both cognitive dissonance and endlessly
unproductive argument.

In a discussion such as this, one would hope to clearly highlight the
differences between two points of view, to be left for resolution in the
(indefinite) future as each person's knowledge base converges on an
increasingly accurate model of reality.

- Jef