[extropy-chat] The Drake Equation and Spatial Proximity

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Mon Oct 23 23:15:38 UTC 2006

Robert Bradbury wrote:

> It has little to do with the P.D.  It has much more to do with the fact
> that
> it is a waste of time and energy to attempt "talking" to a pre KT-I
> civilization when you can wait 10-50 years and talk to something much more
> "interesting".

But that's not a very nice stance is it? During such a waiting period many many
millions/billions of intelligences in that new civ will die.

Just as there are folks around today who want to help out wild animals, I expect
there would be folks in a many post-singularity civs who want to "save the
sentients" from involuntary death and other indignities throughout the rest of
the universe. All it would take is one of them from one post-S civ designing and
launching one self replicating probe that would then spread throughout all
galaxies over time to survey systems and then introduce itself and its
potentialities to the local intelligences.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/