[extropy-chat] FW: The Drake Equation and Spatial Proximity

John Heritage john.heritage at v21.me.uk
Wed Oct 25 15:29:17 UTC 2006

I wouldn't use lasers, I would use relativistic matter pellet streams. You just can't beat the bandwidth, and the latency is almost as good as photons.

I did some googling around, but couldn't find any information on the pellet streams you mentioned.

I'd take a guess that perhaps you mean encoding information on single atoms (perhaps in their electron spin state) and then sending collections of them as packets in pellet form.

But I'm not sure how this idea could better the theoretically infinite bandwidth of the EM spectrum.

Of coarse, we don't have infinite coverage of the EM band with practical lasers, but it's definitly not a static area - we're developing x-ray lasers in my electronics department... I think.

Best wishes!
John