[extropy-chat] What if Dyson spheres are obsolete? (was the Drake Equation)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 04:38:45 UTC 2006

One of the "possibilities" that I think you guys seem
to be missing is that it may turn out that harnessing
dark/vacuum/zero-point energy may actually be easier
than building a Dyson sphere. If this is so, then even
in the most overgrown of galaxies, one would see no
"cookie monster" effect. I don't see how one would
detect such an ET civ unless it was tried to
communicate on purpose (other than ufos of course).

Robert, I don't understand your comment about
Lineweaver and earth lagging behind "70% of solar
systems". What is the rationale of that? The big bang,
if it actually happened and relativity is true, would
be the only time that was the same time for everybody
(fair start scenario).

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Guatama aka Buddha.