[extropy-chat] it's not natural!

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Oct 30 08:02:33 UTC 2006

This is hilarious:

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/806

Saturday, 28 October 2006
by Pierre-Henry Deshayes
Agençe France-Presse

OSLO: A Norwegian museum exhibit of homosexual
behaviour in the animal world has sparked
consternation among conservative Christians.

It shows giraffes mounting, aroused whales mating
and dragonflies copulating - all perfectly
normal, tender scenes - although perhaps not for
all, since in this case the animals are of the same sex.

Breaking what is taboo for some, the Natural
History Museum in Oslo is currently showing an
exhibition on homosexuality in the animal kingdom
which organisers say is the first of its kind in the world.

"As homosexual people are often confronted with
the argument that their way of living is against
the principles of nature, we thought that ... as
a scientific institution, we could at least show
that this is not true," said exhibition organiser Geir Soeli.

While the images displayed at the Natural History
Museum wash over passing school children, the
exhibition has sparked consternation in conservative Christians.

A Lutheran priest said he hoped the organisers
would "burn in hell," and a Pentecostal priest
lashed out at the exhibition saying tax payers'
money used for it would have been better spent
helping the animals correct "their perversions and deviances".