[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification for existence

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Sep 4 23:59:43 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

> And yet I don't seem to find myself increasing my "run time" by going
> around to my neighbor's house and sticking a spear into him so I can
> take his stuff the way my ancestors used to. Evolution does sometimes
> produce progress, after all.

That ain't evolution, son.  It's intelligence what did the trick.  Yes,
I know that natural selection produced intelligence to begin with; but I
think, in this case, that it is particularly important to distinguish
between natural selection and intelligence...

Sigh.  I know that reclaiming the word "evolution" is a lost cause,
after all the abuse that's been rendered on it - but it leaves people
with only a single mental bucket to represent two hellaciously different
optimization processes.

PS:  Robert Bradbury, would you *please* stop advocating murdering
everyone you don't like?  It ain't movin' humanity forward.