[extropy-chat] Sustainability philosopy as a justification for existence

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 05:56:34 UTC 2006

On 9/5/06, Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> So one does not steal from ones neighbor because socialization teaches you
> at a young age to avoid the consequences of doing so (or you predicted in
> advance that doing so is likely to have negative consequences).

Fear of negative consequences is not in fact the only reason why I don't
murder my neighbor and steal his property; and the sun wastes more energy in
a second than we've used in our entire existence as a species, if only we
can tap it; but leaving these aside...

Certain things you have said could be construed to mean that you are a
K-strategist, one who, given a wish on condition that his neighbor would
have twice as much, would say "put out one of my eyes", one who genuinely
believes death is good. If that is so - I don't know you personally, so I
can't really tell one way or the other - then there is nothing more to be
said between us; we are on opposite sides.

But it seems to me that perhaps your intentions are good, and it is merely
that you are mortally exhausted. And if that is so, then I can fully
sympathize.

"Dearly the Mother purchased the gift of life for us, and dearly shall our
enemies purchase it from me in turn. Little love hath She for those who let
Her gift fall through fingers slack with resignation." The quote is from
memory and may not be exact, I forget where I got it from and even Google
knows not of it, but I think the intent comes across.

So my suggestion for what it's worth is that you do whatever works for you
to catch your breath. Get plastered drunk and watch Pink Floyd: The Wall on
DVD. Take a long walk late at night through the suburbs and the hills where
the wind whistles through the trees and down to the beach where the moonlit
waves wash on the sand and you meet a tired-looking hippie couple who give
you a cheery wave at three o'clock in the morning and make you realize we
all face things in their own way. Or whatever is your style.

Then rise to your feet again, take up your weapon which is your mind, and
rejoin the fight, for the Grim Reaper is not an enemy to whom you bare your
throat; he does not follow the mammal protocol of sparing a surrendered
enemy. Choose a battlefield - life extension is a good one, we're losing
tens of millions every year on that front, but it looks potentially
winnable. And go to it; perhaps you will fall regardless, but resolve to
fall as part of a victory, not defeat.

"Then we shall fight in the shade."