[extropy-chat] cryonicist's nightmare

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Sep 5 07:00:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:52:36AM +0100, John wrote:
> >This is the first time I'm hearing about lyophilizicles. Are you sure
> >you've
> >not just invented them?
>
> It's the alternative to cryonics, for faster warm up times and a crisper
> crust finish.

As I suspected, you're just inventing stuff, not bothering with
irrelevant things like practicality.

> >Why are you mentioning MEG scanners?
>
> One method of determining if the individual is dead is to fit an EEG to
> their head and check for brain activity. My point being that EEGs are

Dead depends on your definition. Your MEG (or EEG) would show zero
activity after 20-30 sec of warm ischemia, while animals have been
recovered after 14 min of warm ischemia. (It would be hours for
cold ischemia).

> nowhere near as sensitive as MEG scanners, and even MEGs require quite a bit
> of activity before they'll detect events.

MEG activity is not a relevant metric even for today's medicine.
See http://eugen.leitl.org/cc3894.pdf for an intro.