[extropy-chat] internet search privatizer

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 15:45:43 UTC 2006

bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bradbury
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] internet search privatizer

On 9/5/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>We could also generate random email traffic from random sentences or
paragraphs selected from our inboxes...

>Bonk!  Spike loses his personal discount for therapies under the Bradbury
patent on an extended life genome for suggesting a stupid waste of resources
( i.e. promoting unsustainable activities)...

Not so fast my therapist friend.  Consider:

>  My Gmail spam folder has 252 items in it this morning (I haven't emptied
it in a couple of days)...

Why should you need to empty it?  If we fixed Gmail to *automatically*
delete emails from cooperating anonymatons, it wouldn't fill up your inbox
nor your spam folder nor your recycle bin.

> -- we do *not* need more SPAM, pointless searches, etc. generating more
*noise* using up useful network bandwidth and computing resources! [1]...

The notion I have in mind would devour negligible computing resources.
Wouldn't even show up in the third digit.

>As others point out there are good solutions to the "be anonymous and avoid
big brother" problem...Robert
>2. The best of these I believe is still Folding at Home.  SETI at Home is
probably a complete waste of time and GIMPS falls somewhere in between.

Cool.  I would be interested to hear some of our net gurus estimate how much
computing resources would be wasted by my scheme of having the machine
select three or four random words from a website to use for the next search,
repeat on intervals of about a minute, whenever the machine is idle.  How
much would be used from randomly creating emails and sending them to
cooperating auto-deleters, again on about a one minute interval, text only.
My suspicion: the computers and the cable wouldn't notice the difference.