[extropy-chat] Research question

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:50:46 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, pjmanney <pj at pj-manney.com> wrote:

> What would theoretically destroy nanobots?  I guess the more specific
> question would be: what disassembles diamondoid nanostructures at an atomic
> level and reverts them back to harmless carbon atoms?  Or simply screws with
> them enough to render them neutral/inactive/harmless?

Oh, lots of things. Household drain cleaner should do the job nicely, for
example.

>   To give you some possibly important detail, these are medicinal bots and
> would be used internally in the brain.

...but, you want to destroy them after they've been absorbed into someone's
brain, and preferably without killing the patient? That's a bit trickier,
unless there's a deactivation switch of some sort built into them you'll
probably need to give the patient a dose of counternanites specifically
programmed to track down and destroy the original nanites (and then
eliminate themselves) without damaging anything else.