[extropy-chat] [wta-talk] RE: Research question

mike99 mike99 at lascruces.com
Sat Sep 9 19:35:48 UTC 2006

The simplest means for stopping your nanobots is, as Jef said, to **assume** that they have in-built systems designed to prevent uncontrolled spread, and that your hero/heroine can hack into these systems and activate them.

Many types of security systems are imaginable. But, again, for the sake of simplicity, you may assume that the most comprehensive fail-safe is based on reversible computing. When activated, the reverse-compute security system would cause the nanobots to retrace their steps, undoing what they had already done, and ceasing further activity as soon as they reached the starting point of their activity trace.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra
WTA Publications Director
Board of Directors, World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org