[extropy-chat] KurzweilAI.net reviews the "State of the Future 2006"

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 03:08:42 UTC 2006

On 9/10/06, Jose Cordeiro <jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just as computer code is written to create many kinds of software, genetic
code
> will be written to create many varieties of life, including those that
make hydrogen
> from plants.

I love it when people know *just* enough to appear really stupid.  There are
already many microorganisms that could be viewed as making hydrogen
from plants (in anaerobic conditions).  Of course it would be a bit tricky
harvest hydrogen from plants as plants normally respire CO2 and O2.
So separating out H2 would be a bit nontrivial.  As is the "minor" problem
that the H2 is going to want to combine with the O2 to produce H2O.

If our forward direction is being managed by the people who wrote the
summary
for the report then all hope is lost.  (If the report is similarly based on
people
saying things that they know little or nothing about then it isn't worth the
paper
it is printed on).

Sigh.

Robert