[extropy-chat] the RBL racket

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Sep 11 07:07:41 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:

> You'd put a man in _prison_ for typing words on a computer keyboard?
>
> That puts you over the line, I'm afraid.
>
> Sorry, but there are limits. This transgresses them.

Which of the following transgresses your limits?

1)  On your private property, releasing nerve gas to float through the
air and slaughter your neighbors.

2)  On your private property, blasting out sounds loud enough to
permanently damage ears and break glass in your neighbors' houses.

3)  On your private property, screaming out advertisements for your used
cars, at 2AM, using a 110-decibel bullhorn.

4)  On your private property, screaming out your personal political
opinions, at 10PM, using a 90-decibel bullhorn.

5)  On your private property, shouting "Beware of Peak Oil!" to every
passersby.

Now, where does spam fall in this ranking?  In my book, it falls
somewhere around (3).