[extropy-chat] "Hyperdrive Engine Could Let Us Reach Mars in 3Hours"

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Mon Sep 25 12:28:38 UTC 2006

Thanks for digging this reference up...

Indeed, while there seems to be empirical evidence in favor of gravity
modification beyond what General Relativity predicts, the proposed
application to propulsion relies on Heim theory which is very
speculative, and not assumed by Tajmar's paper...

Basically there are three separate things one may believe

1) that the empirical results on gravity modification are correct

2) that Heim theory, which provides one explanation for these results
(but certainly not the only one) is correct

3) that the authors of the study on gravity modification based
propulsion have applied Heim's theory correctly

I have no strong opinion on 3.   Regarding 2, currently Heim theory
should be considered one among a host of speculative ways of unifying
quantum electrodynamics with gravity.  Regarding 1, I tend to be a
believer; I see no reason to suspect fraud, and there have been a
bunch of related results pointing in this direction during the past
couple decades, of which the most recent one of Tajmar etc. is
particularly clear and striking...

-- Ben G