[extropy-chat] Rapid prototyping makes police state more likely

John john.heritage at v21.me.uk
Mon Sep 25 15:18:19 UTC 2006

> You think of Bruce Simpson, who did this in New Zealand.
>
> http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

Sorry, you're right yes. He was on scrapheap challenge with the engines at
one point.

>So if you can't economically make a firearm with rapid prototyping,
>how could one economically make cameras, diseases, or aircraft with
>rapid prototyping?

I forgot to mention that aspect. That even though you could use a printer to
make a bird sized drone, you can get some pretty small model aeroplanes
complete with a video camera for next to nothing now anyway.

The problem may get greater when people start releasing things they've
designed for fun, drones for instance, that can very easily translate across
to a desktop printer in a terrorist's house - in the same way that posting
up the G-Code for milling a receiver isn't likely to help slow the process
now. However, like the receiver example, the end result will likely have to
require next to know intelligence or effort to finish and operate for
terrorists to even bother thinking about it.

It might be worth also considering how much demand we can expect for
stereolithography from the public domain. Will it, for example, follow the
standard paper printer development in that we'll rapidly end up with
printers in Tescos for 29.99 - thereby allowing terrorists to have access to
one as a regular household item (that they perhaps initially bought for some
other reason) by aggresively forcing the price down.

My guess is, perhaps not. How many people actually want to be able to print
3D things? There are options to 'print' (mill) things on your desktop
already that are quite cheap and only a very small number of people ever
bother. Stereolithography, like milling, has somewhat limiting factors on
just how cheap and clean you can make it due to the inherent means by which
the process is performed. Mills generate swarf and mess, stereolithographs
need baths of clean resin and lasers for even basic work. Sintering metals
and ceramics would only be harder again. A multimaterial, all in one system
may even be unnecessarily expensive for the people who actually need them,
compared to using standard methods - like winding coils and stamping parts.

John

BullGuard Anti-virus has scanned this e-mail and found it clean.
Try BullGuard for free: www.bullguard.com