[extropy-chat] Sanity-Stealing Penguins?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:42:41 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> As you have discovered, the quote is now part of pop culture.
>
> I think the origin lies in HP Lovecraft's story "At the Mountains of
> Madness".
> Full text here:
> <http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/mountainsofmaddness.htm>

Shucks, and here I thought those nasty penguins were associated with people
trying to get their Linux configurations "just right" [1].  There is an
argument that the nice thing about "closed source" software is that it is
very  very difficult to look under the hood "too" much.

Robert

1. The latest adventure involved trying to get Xgl+Compiz working under
Gentoo on Intel 915 graphics hardware... :-(  After ~4 weeks of off and on
effort I'm close but not quite "there" yet.