[extropy-chat] what is the upside / advantage of meat ?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Sep 26 00:50:08 UTC 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Ensel Sharon wrote:
> But again, meat is expensive to produce and keep - even
> if the 10/1 ratio of feed input to meat output is not exactly
> right, there
> is still a negative ratio at work ... so why have people,
> historically,
> wanted it ?  What short term benefits does it provide, and why was it
> worth the cost ?

This argument is theoretical rather than practical, as most meat does
not compete with plant-based foods for resources in the market.
There was a discussion on this list a long time ago about this very
thing.  There are two points that are worth re-bringing up:

- While there may be a 10:1 feed ratio in theory, a very significant
percentage of the cattle are raised on lands with no other
agricultural value other than the fact that cattle can thrive there.
In the US I remember the figure being 40% of the total cattle herd,
but I could be off by a bit.  No feed is being expended on cattle
that can feed themselves on otherwise marginally arable land, and in
fact this use gives the land utility where it would otherwise have
none.  If we really wanted to, all cattle raising could be done on
land with no other agricultural value so that this calculus would be
moot.  The same could be done with pigs, chickens, and many other
animals, as evidenced by significant feral populations for many of
these in marginal lands.

- The amount of agricultural land in use is shrinking due to
improvements in agricultural efficiency.  Even when otherwise useful
agricultural land is used to feed cattle, it is not taking away from
some other type of plant-based food production as there are vast
tracts of arable land that still remain fallow for lack of necessity.

In the broader real-world scene, raising meat is an economically
productive activity that can significantly expand the total food supply.

J. Andrew Rogers