[extropy-chat] Monty Python's International Philosophy FootballMatch

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 03:09:02 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Amara Graps
>
> Monty Python's International Philosophy Football Match:
> Greeks vs. the Germans
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xpNj9nhoH4&eurl=
>

> This is supposed to be a classic, but I have never heard about it
> or seen it before.
>
> Hilarious!!
>
> Amara

Cool thanks Amara!  I hadn't seen this one either.

I am always puzzled by British humor, why it is exactly that it has such
universal appeal to us geeksters.  Why does it stay so funny to us after all
this time, but non-geeksters fail to see the humor?

Weird Al made a reference to MP in his White & Nerdy video.  I had to admit
to being able to recite most of Python's Holy Grail and much of Life of
Brian.  This went along with Yankovic's other references to being white and
nerdy: had no girl but had braces (check), Monte Python (check), chess team
(check), debate team (check), had both guns and a solder gun (half a check),
knew pi to about 30 places (half a check), carried more than one pen, hey
you never know when one might fail (check), pocket protector, altho on that
one I admit we did it on purpose to heighten the geek effect (check), D and
D (check), MC Escher is my favorite MC (definite check), Stephen Hawking's
in my library (check), whiz at minesweeper (check).  So why do these
characteristics go together so well?

The MP routines have a lot of subtle insider humor, the philosophy
references and such.  Same I suppose with Weird Al.  I really miss Far Side
cartoons and those terrific Calvin and Hobbes even more.