[extropy-chat] Islamic morons win yet again

Brandon Reinhart transcend at extropica.com
Fri Sep 29 18:38:43 UTC 2006

> I genuinely hope your bullet to the head approach is only rhetorical.

It was sarcasm.

> Rational debates don't work if the other party is not rational.

I don't know if religious extremism shares root causes with other forms of
political extremism (like fascism). If you purgated religion, would these
people latch onto other movements as outlets for their anger? Isn't it
possible that even in a world without religion, you'd still have the same
trends as long as you failed to address the root causes of the irrational
rage that leads to jihad?

> There's usually no cure, if you're infected. Your only chance is
prevention.

To me that means finding and addressing the root causes of extremism.
Actions like helping the third world build strong, responsive, secular
governments. Helping them build infrastructure, education systems, and jobs.
It won't cure religion, but it might make headway into removing the
powerbase of extremist rabble rousers.