[extropy-chat] Tyranny in place

Brandon Reinhart transcend at extropica.com
Sat Sep 30 03:21:28 UTC 2006

I've heard it said that a person's sarcastic jokes often reflect their
private desires. Let's hope it's not the case for Mr. Bush.

"You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot easier...
So long as I'm the dictator."
    * Responding jokingly to the difficulties of governing Texas, "The
Taming of Texas," Governing Magazine (July 1998); also cited in Is our
Children Learning?: The Case Against George W. Bush (2000) by Paul Begala.)

"I told all four [congressional leaders] that I felt like this election
happened for a reason; that it pointed out - the delay in the outcome should
make it clear to all of us - that we can come together to heal whatever
wounds may exist, whatever residuals there may be. And I really look forward
to the opportunity. I hope they've got my sense of optimism about the
possible, and enthusiasm about the job. I told all four that there are going
to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's okay. If
this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier... [Bush
chuckles, audience laughs] ...just so long as I'm the dictator [more
laughter]."
    * Online NewsHour interview, Washington, DC, (December 18, 2000)' during
his first trip to Washington as President-elect. The last sentence is also
included in Fahrenheit 9/11.

"Dealing with Congress is a matter of give and take. The president doesn't
get everything he wants, the Congress doesn't get everything they want. But
we're finding good common ground. A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot
easier, there's no question about it."
    * Statement, Washington, DC, (July 26, 2001); as quoted in the Seattle
Seattle Post-Intelligencer (July 27, 2001).

"We know that dictators are quick to choose aggression, while free nations
strive to resolve differences in peace. We know that oppressive governments
support terror, while free governments fight the terrorists in their midst.
We know that free peoples embrace progress and life, instead of becoming the
recruits for murderous ideologies."
- Speech to United Nations General Assembly (September 21, 2004)

"It's not a dictatorship in Washington, but I tried to make it one in that
instance."
    * Describing his executive order making faith-based groups eligible for
federal subsidies, New Orleans, Louisiana, Jan. 15, 2004

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and
over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -
May 24, 2005 [55]

"On United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, the
United States reaffirms its commitment to the worldwide elimination of
torture. Freedom from torture is an inalienable human right, and we are
committed to building a world where human rights are respected and protected
by the rule of law.Throughout the world, there are many who have been
seeking to have their voices heard, to stand up for their right to freedom,
and to break the chains of tyranny. Too many of those courageous women and
men are paying a terrible price for their brave acts of dissent. Many have
been detained, arrested, thrown in prison, and subjected to torture by
regimes that fail to understand that their habits of control will not serve
them well in the long-term." - June 26 [56]