[extropy-chat] Uses of Religion (was Re: (no subject))

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Sep 30 04:33:27 UTC 2006

Damien writes

> At 08:08 PM 9/28/2006 -0700, Olga wrote:
>
>> And, yes ... what is it [religion] good for? Absolutely nothing! :)
>
> Well, have to disagree. It surely serves a number of functions, as
> does the instilled conviction that women and other lesser breeds are
> stupider than men, etc. The fact that the alleged subject matter of
> religion (one or more supposed deities) is an empty class doesn't
> prevent the activity from having clear benefits, as sorcery used to,
> and not just to the priestly and administrative bosses.

But now we know the main reason that religion exists and---pace
singularity or other fast tech improvements---will never leave humanity alone:

Religious people have more children.

So you're fighting Darwin trying to rid us of religion, (at least until people
like us wise-up about eugenics, etc., and begin to suggest effective counter-action).

Indeed, it's likely that supposing women to be lesser breeds, and other highly
questionable doctrines, is simply one of religion's tools to achieve the same
reproductive end.

Lee