[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Apr 3 21:28:02 UTC 2007

"Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org>

> How can you prove you've got free will, or not, empirically?

You can't prove it, not for any deep reason it's just that the term "free
will" is just a noise some people like to make with their mouth, that's it,
nothing more. Personally I never cared much for the sound of it myself, I
don't find it particularly musical and so I seldom make that noise with
 my mouth.

I don't believe there is any idea in philosophy (or criminal law)
stupider than free will, not even immaculate conception.
It's a classic example of an idea so bad it's not even wrong.

And Eugen congratulations! I was able to read your entire post without going
through any contortions. Have you decided that Microsoft is not the great
Satin after all? Have you decided that following the "generally accepted E
mail standard", a "standard" virtually nobody follows, is not such a great
idea if you want to communicate?

 John K Clark