[extropy-chat] The great global warming swindle

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 4 00:44:23 UTC 2007

At 03:54 PM 4/3/2007 -0500, I wrote:

>I haven't watched this program yet,
>
>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&q=%22the+great+global+warming+swindle%22
>
>but as usual I'm bemused by the way so many stories posted on this
>list about anthropogenic planetary heating echo the very small number
>of naysayers.

Okay, I take it all back. Well, not all, but quite a bit. It's an
irritating program in many ways--embarrassingly buoyant and
inveigling 1950s' ad music when the wonders of heavy industry are
being pushed, the absence of any response from clmate experts holding
contrary views--but it's a lot more challenging than I expected. I
was especially won over by the segment in the middle of the piece
presenting evidence against carbon driving (rather than, as appears
to be the case, carbon level consequent upon heating) and in favor of
the primary impact of cyclic solar dynamics:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&q=%22the+great+global+warming+swindle%22

As it happens, I drew upon an early version of this general theory in
my 1997 book THEORY AND ITS DISCONTENTS, and was roundly pilloried in
reviews. The TV program provides one key new component that I barely
hinted at a decade ago: cosmic irradiation grows clouds, which cause
cooling by increasing albedo, and cosmic rays density is inversely
proportional to solar wind flux (which in turn is signified by
sunspot activity). Lovely stuff.

Damien Broderick