[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Thu Apr 5 11:02:34 UTC 2007

A B wrote:

>Hi Thomas,
>
>Could you somehow rephrase your objection/question,

I took issue with the idea that "free will" means something akin to
having or becoming a fairy godmother.  I don't think it means absolute
free will.  I think it just reflects the advantage humans have over
other species which don't have the rational means for such skills as
tool making or intellectual intercourse.  It reflects the fairly
uniquely human quality of having a wide range of rational means for
survival -- whereas, less "free" species are limited to genetically
determined hard wired behavior patterns.

If people do not "commonly interpret" free will as I do, then I can
understand your dislike for the term.  It would, indeed, seem nigh to
meaningless.  How can self determinism supplant other deteriminism
without vanishing other?  That sounds like irrational solipsism.

I hope I expressed myself better this time.  I really intended to put
forth a simpler idea of free will.  -- Thomas

>[...]
>
>The point that I'm trying to make is that if "free
>will" (as it is commonly interpreted) really exists
>(which I don't believe at all) then perhaps we should
>all acknowledge that it is quite limited (severely in
>my opinion). If it were not limited, I would have
>everything I've ever wanted, no matter how
>fantastical.

I acknowledge that absolute free will limits itself to a fantasy (or
maybe a virtual) world.  I prefer to define free will in the context of
human survival on Earth.  I realize that context expands every passing
moment, but the definition still seems useful since I believe respect
for free will offers the best hope for human survival.  The disrespect
it received on this list moved me to dissent.

>That's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to
>their own.

You are free to opine as you will, Jeffery.  And you have my respect.
 -- Thomas