[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 5 17:35:57 UTC 2007

At 09:34 AM 4/5/2007 -0700, Jef wrote:

>We have no problem at all describing the behavior of *other*
>agents in fully deterministic terms.

Of course we do. That's why certain children are called "willful".
Criminals are held responsible for their ill deeds because we know
that while they might have a powerful disposition to act in a malign
and antisocial fashion they also have the capacity to choose
otherwise (except where the disposition overwhelms all other motives
or external circumstances restrict their options too brutally).

Damien Broderick