[extropy-chat] The great global warming swindle

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:55:28 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 12:42 PM 4/5/2007 -0400, Rafal wrote:
>
> >### Interestingly, Al Gore's electricity bill in his lavish mansion is
> >about 4000$/month.
>
> In the context of the "climate swindle" allegation, this is about as
> relevant as dismissing the claims of an astronomer who reports
> evidence that a killer asteroid is heading our way by pointing out
> that she holidays each year in the Swiss Alps and wears fuck-me shoes.
>
> It might bear on Gore's recommended methods of remediation, but
> that's another point entirely.

### Well, I see Mr Gore as another evangelist, thumping his green book
against the pulpit, invoking fire and brimstone (or rather, high AC
bills) to bring us sinners to the path of righteous self-denial.

That he is using some known scientific facts (like global warming) as
the excuse for proselytizing doesn't exonerate him - what matters is
that he willfully neglects all the other facts (like the benefits of
CO2 for agriculture, and economic analyses) that are inconvenient for
his position. This excludes him from among serious thinkers, and makes
him a preacher - and a hypocritical one, too.

I find it is quite relevant to bring such personal, moral arguments to
bear here, since it is a moral, not a scientific discussion.

Rafal