[extropy-chat] Hypocrisy and Preaching (was The great global warming swindle)

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 6 02:24:41 UTC 2007

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ### Interestingly, Al Gore's electricity bill in his
> lavish mansion is about 4000$/month.

> Preachers frequently don't live the lives they
> preach.

I don't understand. How much does the mansion next to
Al Gore spend on electricity?  I thought that what he
was preaching about energy efficiency, if so, why
wouldn't a $3000.00 reduction be a valid amount
compared to $7000.00?   If the difference is $4000.00
then I would assume that Al Gore is preaching and
practising about energy efficiency. Ofcourse, if his
bill is $4000.00 a month and the next door neighbor's
bill is $4200.00, I could rationalize that he is being
a hypocrite.

I have heard the comment "practice what you preach",
I'm just not convinced anybody can 100% "practice what
they preach".

How do you determine who is a hypocrite and who isn't?
 If I listen to someone preach that smoking is bad yet
watch them light a cigarette the next moment, I would
consider them a hypocrite. I thought it was about the
proof?

Just some curious questions and thoughts on my mind.
Thanks
Anna