[extropy-chat] The great global warming swindle

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Apr 6 16:05:42 UTC 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 7:27 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### By all means! Especially if there were problems that would need to
> be addressed. But, since the predicted net effect of global warming on
> the US economy is a gain of about 50 billion dollars over the next few
> decades (after adding losses from increased cooling loads, minor
> losses from the few inches of rising ocean levels, and adding gains
> from reduced heating bills and greatly improved agricultural output),
> I feel no pressing need to find solutions.

Predicted by whom and with what biases?  There are many possible
scenarios and many of them are not so rosy.  How much would a few
Katrina-like storms cost?  How much for major drought? How much for a
Katrina or larger storm hitting the oil and shipping of the Gulf more
directly?  $50 billion?  Pocket change in this time of $9 trillion in
admitted deficits.    Are you willing to bet on your scenario to the
extent of saying nothing needs to be done?

And what happens to the rest of the world?

- samantha