[extropy-chat] Best To Regard Free Will as Existing

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Apr 8 16:53:23 UTC 2007

> I would even go so far as to require judges when handing out
> sentences to do so with passion.

Lee, I think you're heading in the right direction, but rather than
expressing passion which obscures rationality in the courtroom, our
judgments should calmly and clearly proclaim our values (rather than
pretending to be objective as is so often the case.)

It's the right direction because it helps us mature beyond the fairy
tales of "intrinsic rights" and "objective justice" and moves us
toward taking responsibility for creating a future that increasingly
promotes shared values that work.

On the other hand, people as yet generally don't appreciate rationally
promoting shared values, so -- let the passions flow and we'll use the
inadvertent consequences as opportunities to learn and grow. :-(

This goes to Anna's question about manipulation.  Raised in a mostly
calm, reasonable family and being an INTJ by disposition, I tend to
approach disputes in terms of principles.  But outside my EDA
(Environment of Developmental Adaptation), many times (depending on
the personality of the other), the reaction in response to a calm
principled appeal is along the lines of "Yeah, okay...so what?"  If I
then intentionally demonstrate a bit of personal anger or outrage,
then it's "Okay, I get you."  Is this manipulation?  Is it "wrong"?

- Jef