[extropy-chat] Avoid Too Much Change.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Apr 8 23:46:37 UTC 2007

John Clark, totally in character, writes

> "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>
>
>> The only issue," he goes on, "is that some of you may have a problem about
>> identity.  You see, the moment that your IQ becomes 12,000 and you know
>> everything about Earth history and the pitifully primitive life forms that
>> you used to be, you no longer resemble the same person that you used to
>> be at all, any more than you currently resemble the fetus that you were
>> eight months before birth.
>> "Now then.  Who wants to go first?"
>
> And at this point John Clark can be seen jumping up and down with his hand
> raised up as high as it will go screaming at the top of his lungs "ME! ME!
> PICK ME!".

Yes.  Now, would you explain the difference between (A) the Alien granting your
request and (B) the alien killing you, and then creating an IQ 12,000 entity that the
alien names Isador  which just so happens to have incredibly complete biographical
information about you? That is, Isador "remembers" almost all of what happened
to you on every day of your life.

Oh, I forgot to add:  the entity Isador also "remembers" what happened to me
and what happened to everyone else who is presently living.

What, I ask, is the difference, exactly, between A and B?

Lee